Friday, August 6, 2010

BAD MOVIE REVIEW: Candyman (1992)

Candyman…Candyman…Candyman…Candyman…Ca...WHOA! Careful saying it a fifth time.  The results could be deadly.  Saying his name 5 times to yourself in a mirror summons the wonderfully gruesome killer Candyman.  Armed with a rusty hook jammed into his stub of an arm and held in by massive antique nails, Candyman is one scary dude.

Candyman is a genuinely scary movie.  Brought to you by Clive Barker, this tale is just as wonderful as Hellraiser.  They both have that dark tone to it, a WONDERFUL back-story, and a truly memorable killer.  At least this time around, Candyman gets in on the fun…instead of summoning objects of torture.  The musical score too kind of follows suit with Hellraiser in the sense that it really builds up the suspense and makes even the generic of scenes seem epic.

I better bring this up right now…Tony Todd is Candyman.  That alone should make you want to watch it.  Everytime that man speaks, his voice far exceeds ANY noise in the film at the time all the while sending shivers down your spine.  “What’s blood for? If not for shedding?”  Muwhahahaha!  PERFECT choice for that role, Tony Todd is awesome at everything he does.  And lest not forget Virginia Madsen.  She is really hot in this movie…with some nudity.  Not completely…but at the same time completely.

I first saw this movie when it first came out in 1992.  At the time I was only 7.  The only part I could remember was the story of that boy getting torn up in the public bathroom stall by Candyman.  (along with the flashbacks)  That in itself made me terrified to step foot into a public restroom.  I was so SURE that Candyman was gonna kill me.

The only real problem I have with the movie is the ending.  Well I should say “endings.”  While the “final” ending was awesome…the film seemed to end like 6 times.  It felt like LOTR 3.  It came to an end, then faded back to the story, then ended, then faded back to story, then ended, etc.  But in the end after it was all over, I wasn’t upset with it.

All-in-all I classify this movie as classic.  I believe that it will stand the test of time and future generations will be able to appreciate this brilliant masterpiece.  Candyman will continue to terrify unsuspecting viewers.  Oh one final thought…Candyman! AAAAHHHH!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. One of the many things I liked about Candyman was that the whole "Candyman" nickname was never really completely explained. Sure there was a scene in there that showed a pile of candy (or some such, I need to see it again) but that's about it, as far as I can remember.

    That's the beauty of this movie. The film's atmosphere, aided greatly by Todd's undeniable presence, sucks you in so completely that you just don't care about the little details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely. I thought Tony Todd just brought such a presence to the character every time he was on screen. Hell every time his name was mentioned. I really didn't care about anything else.

    ReplyDelete