Wednesday, August 11, 2010

BAD MOVIE REVIEW: One Hour Photo (2002)

What a creepy fucking movie. That's all there is to say about it. I was simply mesmerized watching it for 90 minutes straight. Its so full of twists and turns and jumps and weird moments that it keeps you guessing right to the very end.

I think this movie just shows the talent that Robin Williams has. I have always liked him, but he is such a weird guy and he loves to be kooky and crazy, I really wish he could settle down with a bag of depressants and do more films like this one. While watching the featurette on the DVD, Williams was being crazy between takes and being hystarical and completely transforming once "action" was said. He did a wonderful job as the creepy "Sy Parrish" the one hour photo guy.

Movies like this one are the ones that are scary not because they startle or gross out...but because they make you think. THIS COULD HAPPEN. We all know a guy like Sy. We all know that guy that sits by himself and eats his lunch. He always looks perfect and wears a smile. And NOBODY knows who he is or what he does behind closed doors. After you finish watching it, I bet you anything you think twice about getting your film developed. Even though most of us just have digital cameras, there are some of you that still bring in the old film to get developed. It just goes to show that it isn't always a good thing to be a regular customer.

I absolutely love the look of the entire movie. Everything is so PERFECT. The store is spotless, every aisle is zoned perfectly, everything has a radiant glow to it. It's Sy's perfect world. It's where he belongs. All good things can't last forever, and when that happens bad things happen....that's all I'll say on the subject for those of you who haven't seen it yet.

The flow of the film is brilliant. There is not one dull moment throughout the whole thing. Either you're kind of laughing at what is going on, or you're thinking about how this affects your life, or you're really creeped out by what is going on. I love the twists and turns. I would think something terrible and icky is happening...and its not. I thought I might have it figured out...and I didn't. You just have to see it all the way through.

Which brings me to the ending. I thought the ending was awesome. It really could have gone either way during the hotel scene...and to be perfectly honest I really doubt anyone could have been disappointed either way. The final talk between Sy and the detective from the beginning is heart breaking. This adds to the really makes you think part I was talking about earlier. It really puts the entire film and Sy's character into perspective and leaves you satisfied. I really enjoyed it. I didn't hunger for more and I actually felt like watching it again. I highly highly recommend this film to everyone. It is a psychological thriller so if all you want is blood, guts, and explosions you better look elsewhere...but if you're looking for a really good fucking movie, please please check out One Hour Photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment