Thursday, August 5, 2010

BAD MOVIE REVIEW: Aliens (1986)

Assholes and Elbows! Arguably the best line in the film, but I also heard it quite often throughout my childhood. Aliens is the HUGE sequel to Alien. James Cameron I think was cut out to make sequels. There isn't a sequel he's made that was shit. Aliens, T2, Rambo 2 (screenplay). I think in a lot of ways they're almost better than the original. T2 for sure.

Aliens takes place directly after the events of the first film...with some 57 years inbetween, but nothing changes. Aliens is more an action flick than an alien movie, but I can hardly complain. The only thing this film lacks is the terror and scare of the original. Most of this film has to do with the big weapons, the marines, and of course a deeper explanation of the alien cycle.

The design of the aliens in this film far surpasses the first in my opinion. I like how the tops are more bone-like. Of course the grand finale showcases the new "Queen" alien. Its so awesome its almost indescribable. Its just massive, vicious, and at the same time....a mother. It reacts like any mom would if a mysterious woman came into their house and burned all their children. I'd be tempted to take off and kill that bitch myself.

The special effects are awe-inspiring. Everything about it is done so well and with such great detail you tend to forget that they are models or a backdrop. I really didn't like Ripley's hair in this one. Not to sound like a girl, but come on...that hair cuts for women in their 80s. Is there something weird about how she just loses all her hair from the first one to the third one? Oh well what can you do?

There are plenty of things going on, but the first time I saw this film I thought it took too long to get to the aliens. I may have been impatient that night, but there's an hour of setup to the story and finally we see the aliens. There's nothing wrong with that, but its the truth. Once we do see them though, its one constant shit storm after another. People die, shit breaks down, the rescue fails, the power fails, the place is gonna blow up. I love it!

Any fans of the original Alien or any of the others definately needs to have this in their collection. I recommend you check it out and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment