Tuesday, August 17, 2010

BAD MOVIE REVIEW: Predator (1987)

"One ugly motherfucker"  Quite possibly one of the best lines in all of cinema.  To me and my movie buddies its easily "Go! Run! Get to the choppa!!" I always get a smile and when I hear that line.  One's just awesome, the other is a homage to all that is Arnold.

Predator showcases how a movie should be made.  I think it's just a wonderful film.  A few flaws here and there, but that goes for every movie.  I love it when they take a story of epic proportions and dumb it down to a more simple story.

The story of Predator is a simple but effective one.  A group of elite men go into the jungle to save some hostages.  On their way out they are attacked and one by one picked off by the Predator.  That right there is ALL this movie is about, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  It also doubles as a great action flick too, so there's plenty of gunfire and explosions sprinkled throughout the film.  The thing that makes the story so good, in my opinion, is the attention to detail.  I'm a detail person, and it's nice to watch a movie with little to no inconsistencies.  It flows very well from beginning to end, you just can't wait to find out what happens next.

I've seen the movie at least 20 times, and it never ceases to amaze me how much I like Predator.  Maybe its cuz I just love the Predator alien, or Arnold's action flicks, or both!  It was just genius bringing the two together.

The special effects are astounding.  The Predator face alone is a work of art.  The gore sequences were not only well shot, but just great looking.  My favorite scene being when the Predator tears out Billy's spine.  Awesome.  The look of Predator's camouflage was also one of the landmark effects that made this movie so good.  Other than that, lots of bullets and lots of explosions.

Predator is a movie that really any fan of action or horror needs to see.  It's one of those landmark films that puts its mark on the genre and is talked about for decades.  This review for example lol.  Check it out if you already haven't, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment