Tuesday, August 24, 2010

BAD MOVIE REVIEW: The Breed (2006)

What a pleasant surprise this film is. We had a little get together the other night and we watched a ton of dog related horror movies. We rented this film and gave it a shot. None of us had really heard anything about it or really knew much about it. We only really rented it because we saw dogs on the cover and that was the theme for the night.

I have to say after watching it we were all really surprised at how decent it actually was. Yet again we have another "science meets nature" mutation horror film. These dogs look normal, but they are just bad to the bone. The story wasn't too bad. We got a little scared (not really) that it was going to be another teeny bopper horror film...the parties, the stupid drama, etc etc. Even though that stuff was there, it really wasn't that bothersome.

The thing that did it for me for this movie was the dogs. I was pretty shocked at how well they shot so many dogs and got it to work. Many times they'd come out of nowhere and scare the shit out of you. Other times they looked just mean as hell...and what else is scarier then coming across an unknown dog and having it growl at you?

The mystery behind why these dogs are the way they are kept me intrigued throughout the film. Subtle hints and clues are scattered about the film but its enough to keep you wanting to know just what the hell is going on. The effect the dog bites have on the humans again adds to the mystery. I loved it.

If you're having a lazy saturday and you're really in the mood for anything, I'd rent this film. I did buy it after seeing it and I enjoyed it just as much the second time as the first time. It does star Michelle Rodriguez from the first Resident Evil, so that helps with the cast as well. Fun movie, I recommend it for the nature gone awry horror film junkie.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your review. The Breed was very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete