Tuesday, August 10, 2010

BAD MOVIE REVIEW: Flight of the Living Dead: Outbreak on a Plane (2007)

This is the kind of movie that I live for.  I read a couple of good reviews about this movie on a few sites so I decided to give it a shot.  Once in a blue moon a horror movie comes out that brings it back to the basics.  I hate it when people try too hard to bring something new to the table only to fail horribly and embarrass everyone involved.  FOTLD is a film that pretty much follows your standard zombie movie formula only its more Return of the Living Dead meets Snakes on a Plane....which is fine by me.  As far as the formula goes....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I enjoyed everything about this movie.  It takes everything I love about a cheesy bad 80's film and executes it perfectly with a bit of modernization added to it.  The effects were great.  They used mostly make-up effects as far as the zombie's are concerned, and i was happy as all get out.  The outside plane shots were mostly CGI as I can figure, but they were hardly shitty.  More or less used as transitions between scenes.  Reminds me of how Star Trek always does an Enterprise cut shot between scenes.

The acting wasn't too bad.  You can't have it perfect with a film of this calibur, but everyone did a great job in my eyes.  It's a little bit of a stretch to believe that ALL of these kinds of characters would happen to be on the same plane together at that moment, but it is fun watching them interact.  One Kevin J. O'Conner caught my eye, as he always does.  I think he always does a great job as that kind of comic relief side kick type.  Always doing the right thing and always with something fun to say.  I had hoped for more one-liners, but I can settle for what was there.  I especially loved the "she's gumming me to death!" line.  Hilarious.

If you're a serious movie watcher, you'll want to steer clear of this title.  There's a lot that's wrong with it, but that's the fun of watching it.  You'd think with all those gun shots....ONE would have punctured a whole in the hull.  That's just one of many things that don't make complete sense, but I like it that way.  I think and work hard all day and there's nothing better than vegging out to some mindless horror.  If you have an open mind, and can accept whats going on, you'll enjoy it a lot more.  Nothing is SO far fetched that you'll be shaking your head in disgrace.  It can be fairly predictable at times, but that's just because it mostly follows formula and if you've seen enough zombie movies you can pretty much tell what the next move is.

All in all, I recommend this movie.  If you're a zombie fan, you'll like it.  It's not near as fun as Return of the Living Dead, but I'd say it's in the same category.  I'm happy that I ran across it in a used video store.  I'm glad I own it, I'll be watching it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment