Wednesday, August 25, 2010

BAD MOVIE REVIEW: The Thing (1982)

John Carpenter's The Thing is a movie that any fan of horror....or any fan of movies for that matter really needs to see. I just worship everything this movie throws at the audience. Its funny, tense, unpredictable, gorey, exciting. It's got a lot of great qualities that make a good movie...well good.

The Thing will have you cheering for more and more within the first few minutes. The title sequence alone is enough to get anyone off. I personally have a "hunger" to watch the movie every few months. I can watch it over and over and still be scared every now and again.

The actors in this movie are great. There are a lot of well known faces in the movie along with its headliner - Mr. Kurt Russell...who is just awesome at anything. My opinion anyway. I can't recall any other movie where he has a big ol bushy beard either. Anyway...he plays the perfect leader type throughout the film and his ideas are brilliant. I'd want him on my side if this shit went down near me.

The look of the movie is great. The whole idea of it being in Antarctica is even better. It's so pure, so deserted, so perfect for chaos to ensue. The effects are top notch. If only movies these days can take a lesson from this movie and use the props they did here to strike fear into the hearts of viewers. Instead of the over reliance of CGI to get the feel they want. I'll keep my personal CGI feelings at bay for the sake of the review. :) There's enough gore to satisfy any gorehound and when it happens...well let me put it this way...when it happens you'll be sitting up screaming HOLY SHIT! You WONT see it coming and it is just so awesome when it does.

I really never heard anything about the movie when I first picked it up. That's probably why it holds a special place in my heart. I was looking for movies I'd never seen when I came across this beauty. I saw John Carpenter....then I saw Kurt Russell, so I really had no choice but to rent it. Its not too often that I'm actually BLOWN away after watching a movie, but this was one of them. I was begging for more far after the credits were done rolling.

The only thing I can find fault at is the DVD presentation itself. Not the movie or anything but the menus. I guess I was a little disappointed with the look of a collector edition DVD. Seemed too generic for me I guess.

To conclude....just watch this movie. Everyone is entitled to their opinion...but mine says this is epic horror gold. I say you MUST see this...I doubt you'll be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment