Sunday, August 15, 2010

BAD MOVIE REVIEW: Phantasm (1979)

Phantasm is a wonderful, wonderful horror movie.  It has so many great things that are good about it and so little to disappoint.  If its your first time watching it, you have to have an open mind.  Remember its made in the late seventies, and had contenders like Alien during that time and I highly doubt they had similar budgets.

Angus Scrimm is amazing as "The Tall Man."  Whom I've just become familiar with.  His walk, his stare, his....voice are just terrifying.  He has such a strong presence on screen that you almost forget that he hardly says anything at all.  You don't need words to know exactly what he's thinking and what he's about to do.

Those fucking orb things the Tall Man has are awesome.  When I first heard about it, I thought it was dumb as hell.  Then I saw them in action.  Sweet.  They blades sticking to the skull and the drill pumping out large amounts of blood.  That was cool.  I was eating when the first attack happened and I had to put it down for a minute until it was over before I started up again.  I also thought at first that the "dwarf" army would be dumb.  How the hell is a midget scary? When they prance around like a bunch of creepy looking Jawas and attack from the dark, it makes them pretty scary.  I liked the explanation they give for them at the end.

Sometimes the acting in the film was kinda bad but for the most part it was pretty good.  I can understand it since most of them are unknowns and still are unknowns.  But they did a good job for what it was.

Did NOT see the ending coming.  These days that ending would've pissed me off.  It's been done enough to make a guy sick.  But in the time it was made, it is a spectacular twist.  A Nightmare on Elm Street had a similar ending.  ANOES being a lot less believable than this one.

Phantasm is a horror classic.  It has held its own for years, and will remain to hold its own for many more.   I hope they can make a few more than the already 4 part series.

No comments:

Post a Comment