Tuesday, August 17, 2010

BAD MOVIE REVIEW: Resident Evil: Degeneration (2008)

Could it be?  Is it possible that a 4th ANIMATED movie based on a video game series be better than the 3 live action big budget adaptations before it? YES! It's true.  It's true.  Finally our prayers have been answered.  Resident Evil: Degeneration is what fans of the video games have been waiting for.

The film brings two characters back from the game and puts them into a full length film.  Leon Kennedy and Claire Redfield.  Honestly I don't think I would want anyone else.  I absolutely adore Resident Evil 2.  It's one of the first games I ever played on Playstation and to this day I keep playing it.  Those two characters were the ones I fell in love with from the beginning and this film just adds more to it.  The nostalgia of both of them together again is great.  The way they meet in this film is similar to the way they meet in RE2.  I love it!

The animation is awesome.  Everything is crystal clear and the motions are wonderful.  Some of the little things are just done with so much detail that it mystifies the mind.  The only thing I had a problem with was the moving of the mouth...but I can understand being it was made with the Japanese and it just works for dubbing over American and Chinese voiceovers.  I got past it pretty quickly.

Even if you don't play the video games the film does act as a pretty decent sequel to the films.  Racoon City is vaped at the end of Part 2 and in this film they play off that.  They add more to the initial virus and it helps to clarify things that happened along the way.  The story is wonderful and is fun to watch.  The action, especially the opening scene in the airport, are astonishing.

Some things that bothered me are that it did kind of feel like it was just a really long video game movie.  What I mean is that while your playing the game you get to a point that needs some explaining and it cuts to a movie...well this movie feels like that but just longer.  Not a bad thing, but it just feels like it could have been more.  There wasn't too much added, it felt like a rehashed Resident Evil 2 storyline taking place in a different area.  Honestly I didn't care, I still loved it.

Definately worth checking out if you are a fan of either the games or the movies.  It's gory, cool, and full of action.  Definately worth the rental price.

No comments:

Post a Comment