Thursday, August 5, 2010

BAD MOVIE REVIEW: Alien3 (1992)

"Guys! My door ain't workin...we ought to rethink this!!" My favorite line in the film. I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but this is my personal favorite of the alien quadrilogy. They are all pretty awesome films in their own way, but this one stands out as my favorite, combining the suspense and terror of the first one and the movement and action of the second one.

Alien3 takes place after the events of the second film. The cryo-escape pod launched and crash landed on a planet that also happens to be the home to several prisoners....and that's all. Of course, there's an alien on board.

The third film in the series brings on a new aspect to the alien creature which I found not only logical but very intriguing and unique. The alien embryo inherits traits of the host. Thus far its all been human hosts, so they've all walked around upright and looked like a humanoid life form. In this installment the facehugger attaches to a dog, so this "new" alien creeps around on all fours and is a tad smaller than its humanoid brothers. Otherwise its a good ol' alien.

The movie is with its flaws though. Some arguable inconsistencies. Most notably the one that comes to mind is how long an embryo takes to "hatch." I dont think there was ever a time table established in the first two films, but it sure does take a while for Ripley's to blow. Also some of the effects with the alien running around aren't the greatest, but there is very little screen time attributed with it so I never found it bothersome.

There were a lot of cool shots I thought worth pointing out. The side shot with Ripley and the Alien meeting face to face was priceless. The look on her face says it all. The back and forth from the speech to the dog was good, and the finale with Ripley was awesome.

I absolutely loved the ending. A fitting end to a wonderful trilogy....if it was the end. I just found the music as she gives her final leap holding the alien in her chest and falling to her death so....moving. I felt such relief...its finally over for her. All the movies link to one another in succession and Ripley has been there through it all. It's a nice relief to see that her suffering, if you can call it that, is over. Well done. (applauds)

No comments:

Post a Comment