Sunday, October 16, 2011

The 31 Baddest Days of Halloween: Survival Log Day 16


I stayed up until midnight watching The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror for 4 hours. I love October. That just means I got even less sleep now. Fuuuuck me.

On the plus side, it's Gable's Pick Sunday!



Strip Club Slasher is a deeply independent, Minnesota Made horror movie. Being from Minnesota myself, I was very excited to see what we can do.

Unfortunately, not much.

I really really wanted to like this movie. I followed it from the moment I heard about it going into pre-production and waited for it to get made and put on DVD. Now that I have it, meh. I can think of several other things I could do with my time.

I don't have to tell you what the story is about. It's pretty obvious.

The directing of this movie is terrible. The pacing crawls. During the lesbian scenes...and most scenes...the director seemed more interested in beating off behind the camera then actually directing. Everything seemed like it was done in one take. Most scene's shot held the camera on someone or something for far too long. Let's say someone is on a table about to get cut up. They set the camera up on a tripod and just shot the girl. Never zoom in or out. Never change angles. One take.

And the dialogue is awful. The jokes aren't funny. I really just wanted the movie to be over. I'm sure all the people involved with this thing love getting together and watching themselves in action but for everyone else...not worth it.

And don't get me going on the musical score. I think they had friends in bands and they just used their music. Not bad music but it just adds NOTHING to this movie. It's there for background noise only.

There are good things about this movie though. If you love lesbians and nudity....oh yeah, this movie is for you. All the chicks strip down and nearly all of them are lesbians. There's even a fairly convincing (but still obviously fake) 69 scene that's pretty awesome. That's my favorite kill matter of fact. The killer comes in and stabs a pipe through both of them.

The other thing is Rachel Grubb. She stars in this movie (and is killed in a pretty awesome way) AND she is technically a coworker of mine. She will be writing for The Chainsaw Mafia too. I was curious to see how she did as an actress. When I started watching the movie I was just like, "facepalm" UUUGGGHHHH....then she showed up. She's the only person in this whole movie that is completely comfortable in front of a camera. Her level of fuck giving is on par with that of Jack Deth. No fucks given. Love it! She made this movie better then it should be.

But even with all the good things, it just can't outdo all the bad things. And they aren't even good/bad. Whatever. I'll have to drink next time I watch this. You can definitely talk through this thing.



1 comment:

  1. It's too bad this didn't turn out better. I imagine the first paragraph from your review back in September was better than the whole of this movie.

    ReplyDelete