Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The 31 Baddest Days of Halloween: Survival Log Day 25


I had this huge rant ready to go this morning. I woke up this morning and genius hit me. I knew exactly what to say today. It was all so clear. Then I watched 90 minutes of the above image killing people and...and now I just can't fucking remember.

Where in time are we?



I was 99% sure this movie was going to suck ass. Cover's like that just never go over well. And this is an italian production. My experience with Italian productions is either hit or miss. BUT, what I have learned is that if you have an Italian production and the cover art looks fucking stupid...then you have yourself one hell of a movie.

Screamers ISN'T about men turned inside out. Actually that never even happens. What does happen is FISHPEOPLE. Fishpeople from the lost city of Atlantis. You see, this hapless crew of a sunken ship happens upon this island. A few of them are killed by the fishthings and they run into other humans. These humans are scientists and natives working together. They are communicating with the fish creatures for the purpose of getting all their gold.

That make any sense to any of you?

This movie is really fucking cool. The opening scene was out of this world. From that point forward, it's still really cool. People are killed at a fairly decent pace and when they break down and start telling a story, it's so imaginative and crazy that you can't wait to see where they go next.

I don't know if any of you know who Barbara Bach is...

She's ready to kill you if you don't.

...but she is the bond girl from The Spy Who Loved Me. (She also starred in The Unseen, Caveman, and The Humanoid) AND she also stars in Screamers. Barbara is a gorgeous woman. Even though she is fully clothed in this movie, she is stunning enough that it doesn't matter.

And finally, you should check out this discussion on the IMDb boards. It goes over WHY the opening scene is so awesome and all of the struggles this movie had during its release. It was released under several different names, footage was reshot, why there aren't any inside out people, really interesting stuff.

That being said, I really liked this movie. I watched Lucio Fulci's CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD yesterday and I would say that I liked this movie as much as I liked that one. I only compare them because they are both Italian productions and the gore is about on the same level. Although, Fulci's head crushing, gut spewings were much grosser. But Screamers holds it's own. Good pacing, interesting story, fishmen, evil scientist, evil rich white guy that wants to be richer, fun musical score, and Barbara Bach. You can't go wrong!


1 comment:

  1. I also forgot to mention Cameron Mitchell from Deadly Prey and Space Mutiny is killed in the opening scene. I believe by decapitation. YES!

    ReplyDelete